Breaking News

Navigation

Saturday 14 March 2015

The 90's Tag | Q&A

As a kid, born in 1990, I grew up in an amazing decade and am a true 90's kid! Unlike today, in primary school we had one computer per class, which we had to book on the schedule to use, were forced to play the recorder, thought that yoyo's with lights were the best thing since sliced bread and were around for the launch of Pokémon...

1. What was your favourite Disney movie?
When I was younger, my favourite Disney film has got to be Hocus Pocus - the good old 1993 release! I know, not your typical disney film of princesses and prices and fairies - but I loved it! Although when Toy Story came out, it was so different and crazy at the age of 5 it soon became my new favourite. So many amazing Disney movies came out in the 90's it was hard to choose and when I was initially thinking about it my mind went mental of all the choice; The Hunchback of Notredame, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Tarzan, Hercules, Pocahontas! There is too many to name and I loved them all!



2. What was your favourite music artist(s)?
Nobody could beat the Spice Girls when I was a kid, although Steps came pretty close. I knew every dance move to every Spice Girls song and even performed a dance with my friends at our primary school Year 6 extravaganza (as well as a scene from SMTV's 'Chums' with Dec and Cat alone in the flat). Me and my friend Casey were obsessed with Steps as well though, and used to have pictures of 'H' on our walls.

3. What was your favourite children's television show?
SMTV was an amazing channel and I loved chums, but I used to watch CBBC a lot. I used to love watching Arthur and Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but I don't think anything could compare with Ant and Dec in Byker Grove...ah the Geordie accent!

4. What were your favourite sweets?
There were a lot of things that constitute children's sweets or candy when I was younger..the weirdest of which would probably be when you could get white sticks that looked like cigarettes and came in a similar packaging. I think I actually used to pretend to smoke when I was about 9 or 10 with my friends because smoking was considered quite cool back then before all the adverts for the actual damaging effects it has came out. Looking back I have no idea how that candy got approved for children! I also used to love curly wurly's, which is strange because caramel and toffee really isn't something I would eat now, and I used to have Hubba Bubba bubblegum that came in a circular packet that you could pull out from a reel. Though, nothing will beat a good old 10p Freddo - I used to have one every Saturday on my way back from practice. It's actually heartbreaking now how expensive Freddo's are!



5. What was your favourite game (board game, school game etc.)?
I had an amazing board game as a kid, which was called Apples to Apples, which I actually rediscovered at my boyfriends Aunt's house recently and realised how much I used to love playing that game! School was a little different. In primary school we used to play with yoyo's a lot, until one kid hit another kid in the face with one and they got banned from the playground. We also managed to get Pokémon cards banned from the playground at my school too after a fight broke out over a shiny Charizard card! Another thing we managed to get banned was British Bulldog, a game where one group of people would stand linked arms in a line, and another person had to try and break through the barrier - needless to say there were a number of bruises and scraped knee-caps! We got a lot of things banned in my primary school - but we were good kids, honest! Well, most of us. I couldn't say much for one mullet sporting boy from my year who got suspended at the age of 8 for setting fire to a bin behind the music rooms! Kiss Chase was always a fun game to play as well - and when you're in a class of 27 when only 6 of you are girls, it gets quite strange!

6. What was your favourite McDonald's toy?
I never really ate a lot of McDonald's as a kid, but on the rare occasion I was allowed to go - generally when my and my Dad went without my Mum knowing, I was so super happy to have a Happy Meal where you could create things and play games on the box, the toys were just an added bonus. The only real toy selection I remember vividly from McDonald's Happy Meals at the time were the Little Mermaid Series of goldey-bronze coloured plastic toys of the characters that actually floated in water!

7. What was your favourite book?
Simple...Harry Potter...I was obsessed with Harry Potter, and was even more excited in 2001 when the first film came out because I was the same age as the characters, having just started high school! My Mum read the first two books to me when I was about 7, but made the mistake of reading the Chamber of Secrets first, before the Philosopher's Stone. I just used it as an excuse for her to read them to me again! 

8. What was your favourite clothing store?
I used to love Tammy Girl - everything was shiny and had sequins on and I felt so cool shopping somewhere that did clothes for teenage girls when I was 8 or 9. I used to get 90% of my clothes from there! I always got accessories and bags from Claire's Accessories though. I used to have headbands with brightly coloured braids attached to them that I always got told off for wearing at school.

9. What was your favourite toy?
I used to love cars when I was younger. I had a massive box of toy cars that I would whizz around my car mat (I know, not a typical girls toy!) I also used to have Sky Dancers, which, despite being quite dangerous and breaking a few fragile things on the mantlepiece, I loved! I think the thing I had most of though were Polly Pockets - tiny shell like cases that had whole houses inside and tiny minifigures that you could place in them.

10. What was the weirdest fashion trend?
If there is two things I remember from the 90's it was people wearing dungarees, but
leaving the straps unbuckled - probably my favourite bit of The Fresh Prince of Belair
was watching Will Smith's amazing clothing style And mood rings! I had so many mood
rings when I was a child it was unreal.



11. What was your favourite Beanie Baby?
I used to be obsessed with Beanie Babies, wanting to get all the rare ones. I ended up
with about 45 in the end, which I think I still have all of them bar a couple. My favourites,
or rather the ones that stuck in my mind were when I managed to get 'The End' bears. I
was so sad when it finished, and 'The End' really summed up the whole era of the
Beanie Baby. I used to have a Members Club bear as well which was purple and blue that 
was very cool, and came with a bag, a certificate of membership to the Beanie Bear club and a silver coin! When I was younger this was like being made a member of the coolest club on earth!

12. What was your favourite gaming console or computer game?
I used to love the Gameboy and I played the original Pokémon Red all the time! I had an original PlayStayion 1 as well, which I spent a lot of time on with my Dad, although I refused to play some of the games he got like Resident Evil (though I don't think was in the 90's). Crash Bandicoot was always a favourite of mine. I also had Barbie's Riding School which was pretty amazing as well when I was about 7!


I hope you guys have learned a little bit more about my through this tag - I really enjoyed answering these questions! They bought back so many fantastic memories for me and I have loved reminiscing about my childhood. Were any of you born in the 90's? Do you remember any of these things?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twisted Beauty | Rachael McKenzie. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.