Breaking News

Navigation

Thursday 23 July 2015

BareMinerals Beauty Must Haves Kit | Review

I have never really used bareMinerals products before, and have been meaning to try some out for a long time, and after sifting through a magnitude of random items when moving house and going through my old bedroom at my parents house, I found a bareMinerals bareBeauty kit that my Mum got me for Christmas just gone (and I'm not even sure you can get this specific kit any more!) - it seemed like the perfect time to see what bareMinerals had to offer and what the products were like for my complexion and skin type. I think these little bareMinerals kits are fantastic if you need a quick and easy look for when you're travelling or if you're really pushed for space as they are so compact and you literally get everything you need in one little box!


The kit that I got is one of many kits that bareMinerals do for all different sorts of things like contouring, blushers and colour creators amongst other things. I'm definitely going to invest in some more of these kits and boxes as it's so nice to have all the products you need and information for a specific type of look you're trying to achieve all in one compact place!


What did I get in my kit?
Stroke of Light Eye Brightener Cream Concealer in Luminous 2
I don't usually use concealer, I tend to normally use a light cream foundation that's a shade lighter than my skin tone as I find concealer's are quite often too dry for my skin, if that makes sense, and I find that, especially under my eyes, they tend to not have much staying power as I have a habit of rubbing my eyes. Generally something more strong standing is needed for my appalling eye-rubbing habits! Needless to say I was pretty impressed with the Stroke of Light concealer, as it was really light and had good coverage. It stayed on quite well, even with my eye rubbing, although it wasn't as pigmented or have as good a coverage as I would have liked - I wouldn't recommend it doe people with quite dark patches under their eyes or if you were needing to wear it for a long period of time or somewhere hot where you may sweat it off.
Mineral Veil Illuminating Powder Foundation
I usually don't use powder foundations as my main foundation, usually using a light cream or liquid illusion foundation like my favourite one at the moment by MaxFactor Miracle Touch (Almond) and then a nude or translucent powder on top as I find using powder foundations straight onto my skin, even with primer, as my skin is so dry, can leave my makeup looking patchy and like I've been wearing it all night to sleep in after just an hour or so. Needless to say, this powder foundation, while giving a silky smooth feel to my skin and alright coverage, did the same thing and looked slightly patch just a few hours later. I do, however, think this is just because I have very dry skin and if you have better moisturised or hydrated skin than mine, then this powder foundation is perfect for you - although I didn't find there was anything special about it and I have found better results from other powders. I did, however, really like the pot as the clever design meant that you only used as much powder as you needed and didn't get in a complete mess - something me and loose powder foundations have conflict with whenever I use them! It was a nice match for my skin tone, although as the powder isn't very pigmented, I would have liked to have a liquid foundation or better concealer underneath.
Ready Blush in The One
I thought this was a really pretty colour in blush, and I was initially quite taken aback by the weight of this product - and happy that there was a mirror included somewhere in this kit! You also got a powder puff in the blush as well which made it easier to apply, although I am a sucker for brushes over pads any day as I find them much easier to control the amount of product you use. I really liked the colour of this blush against my skin tone, and against the light foundation and concealer as it really complimented the natural pigments in my cheeks, which were visible through the light powder foundation. It is quite a shiny blush, which I like for the summer, but it would have been nice to have a shade that wasn't so vibrant, especially after the foundation was such a light coverage and there was no bronze tones in the kit.
Flawless definition...yes...volume and stand-out lashes...no.
I really like the wand on this mascara, as it does do what it says on the tin, it defines your lashes really well, although it doesn't allow for much volume in your lashes and the brissels are quite close together. This would be an amazing mascara for an incredibly subtle look, or for an under-layer of mascara to separate and define your lashes before applying a coat of a volumising mascara over the top. Maybe it's just because I have short lashes... Though I did love the way it made my bottom lashes look as they were really stand out. It's a great little mascara to have for every day use if you want a really subtle look or for touch ups to carry in your make up purse.
Marvellous Moxie Lipgloss in Party Starter
This lipgloss is the best product, I think, in the kit. It's a really subtle orangey red colour, but makes your lips stand out beautifully, especially with the high shine effect. I'm not a massive fan of lipgloss as I don't really like the stickiness some brand have to them, but this one dries really quickly and has good lasting power. I love the colour as it's really good for wearing during the day as a neutral colour that would suit all skin tones, as well as something you could put over a peach or pale red lipstick for a shiny evening look.

Overall, I really loved this kit from bareMinerals, and I'm looking forward to finding some new ones to try out just like this in different looks. They are really handy to take out with you and the products are all good, I just feel that if you want anything more than an incredibly subtle, simple look, you will need a few more products to make this stand out or suit every skin tone. If this kit had come with a liquid foundation instead of a powder I would have loved it! The great thing about this kit, I feel, is that it would be perfect for everyone, as an under-coverage kit for someone older, or as the perfect present for anyone in their teens just starting out with makeup and looking for some simple products to use to create an elegant look that would suit a younger face.

Have you ever tried one of the bareMinerals kits, or tried any of these products on their own? Let me know in the comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twisted Beauty | Rachael McKenzie. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.